Avistep is a video analysis software which brings together all the
tools necessary to a kinematic study.
An innovative and user-friendly marking:
Set, erase or move the marks in a non-chronological order
(to correct a mistake at the beginning of the tracking, you do
not need to erase everything).
- pivot the grid around to study the motions on an inclined
- mark up to 32 objects simultaneously.
- simulate a tracing paper sheet to construct the trajectory
of a first moving object as seen from the second one and illustrate
the relativity of the movement.
- use the zoom or the magnifying glass for a marking as precise
- read the files in the .avi, .mpeg, .wmv or .mov formats
Draw by hand the outline of an object in one of the video
frames and the software will look for the object in the following
frames and will automatically mark its positions.
- the study of a mechanical oscillator, which required a
specific recording equipment or the tedious setting of hundreds
of marks, can now be made quickly with the video.
With a webcam, a video-recorder or a TV tuner card. The videos
can be compressed with the codec of your choice and saved on the
hard disk in the AVI format.
To delete a repeated frame or insert a missing frame. This is
indispensable in order not to skew the results with bad quality
videos. The resulting video can be compressed and saved on the
hard disk in the AVI format.
- compress and save the edited video on the hard disk
Add informations (text or drawing) on video frames or create a
- combine a series of images to create a chronophotography
- convert video to still image files
- convert still image files to video
A highly capable graph-maker:
Immediately access the experimental values of the coordinates,
the velocity and the acceleration of the followed objects under
the shape of personalizable graphs.
- instantly model the experimental values by a straight line,
a parabola, an exponential function, a sine wave – whether dampened
or not (there is only one button to press).
- export the graphs to a wmf file recognized by Microsoft Word
and by all drawing software. You have the possibility to dissociate
and manipulate individually each element to create complex
A workshop of scientific drawing:
The velocity and the acceleration are represented as vectors.
Each graphic object (vector, segment, angle, circle, arc of a
circle, curve, ellipse) can be created, modified, moved and
measured with the mouse.
- make vector sums and show that the acceleration characterizes
the variation of the velocity vector.
- measure angles, rectilinear or curvilinear distances, velocities,
- draw the video image behind the graphic constructions.
An integrated spreadsheet:
The formulas do not use cell references but literal sizes to
preserve their scientific meaning.
- automatic graphic representation as soon as the typing-in
of a formula is validated.
- writing of the equations born of the Euler method under their
natural indexed shape.
- launch Excel, Regressi or OpenOffice from a menu by
automatically transferring the date to them.
The videos below illustrate some of the features
of Avistep 3 (version 3.5.0):
Since version 3.4.2, Avistep can play videos in .mov format. For this, the
software must be coupled with external libraries.
The « AvsDll » folder contains FFmpeg libraries that might be subject,
in some countries, to software patents. Consequently, these libraries
are not directly joined to the software and must be downloaded separately
The « AvsDll » folder and the « Avistep.exe » file must be placed in the
same directory (usually « C:\Program Files\Avistep\ »).
Download « AvsDll » folder
The life of the software is marked by the release of different versions.
A version often differs from the previous one by a small number of
changes (certain parts of the code in the enforceable files are
different, new files are added, others are deleted).
The update to the 3.5.9 version that is proposed only replaces the
changed data. That is why it can only be used by those who already
have the 3.0.0 version or above of Avistep.